Sunday 11 October 2009

Paul Rand




In my dissertation outline, I had a quote by Paul Rand discussing what graphic designers do, when Mac asked me if I knew who it was. Stupidly I replied that I didn’t. Maybe I was shy or my brain had stopped functioning for that second as I know he’s work form first year. He’s effective but simple way of designing has been used to create corporate identities for IBM, ford, ABC etc but my favorite is the IBM logo above where he has created symbols instead of text. He’s created the logos we recognise easily but had time to play around with it. A quote I found by him shows how he did like to think outside of the box and want to defamiliarize the ordinary, which I hope I remember when I do future projects

“From Impressionism to Pop Art, the commonplace and even the comic strip have become ingredients for the artist’s cauldron. What Cézanne did with apples, Picasso with guitars, Léger with machines, Schwitters with rubbish, and Duchamp with urinals makes it clear that revelation does not depend upon grandiose concepts. The problem of the artist is to defamiliarize the ordinary.”

No comments:

Post a Comment