Saturday 21 November 2009

Let the right one in




A lot of people said this film was going to be scary. With Halloween on the Saturday, personally I didn’t want a scary film because I’m not particular good watching them. By that I mean I usually find myself hiding behind my pillow and screaming like an idiot. I was glad however to find I was gladly not scared to my core. In fact the film was amazingly done. Not the scary cliché blood and gore film that I was expecting.

The film is based on a novel from 2004 by John Ajvide Lindqvist. The relationship between the boy, Oskar and the girl, Eli is lovely. She is a vampire but in spite of this they have a beautiful friendship. This is helped by how the writer has effectively chosen to not have them speaking all the time. The pauses in the film are so effective especially when the girl locks Oskar behind a glass door. The pause is long. Then he eventually asks her “are you a vampire?” The pause is almost poetic. A film I would defiantly watch again. If I did have one point to say, it would be that the swimming pool scene, where you see the legs moving through the water, it seemed a tad unreal. It didn’t balance with the rest of the film that was fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment